A Dozen or So Ways to Happy Sperm
Estimated read time: 2 minutes
You may not know this but our fertility, like that of many other species, is seasonal. And, fall is a very fertile time of year. Human conception rates are highest when the sun shines 12 hours a day and when temperatures hover between 50 and 70°F. That’s a pleasant autumn in California. So, how do you make your sperm as healthy and fit as they can be? Well, think big! The body makes sperm, so anything that effects your health can affect sperm:
- Eat right. I recommend Paleo or Mediterranean diets. And lots of antioxidants. If you’re stuck with airport or fast food, take an antioxidant supplement.
- You’ve heard this a million times, so it must be true. Absent exercise, stand more than you sit.
- Stay lean. Obesity is clearly associated with lower semen quality.
- Get sleep. You should be sleeping 7-9 hours nightly. How much sleep are you getting? It’s almost as important as oxygen
What are some things that sperm absolutely despise?
- Limit alcohol. 7 glasses a week is acceptable as long as they are not all drunk on one (or even two) nights.
- Stay cool. No hot tubs or baths. They bake your baubles. Take my word for it, I published the paper! Showers are fine. Pools are fine.
- Stash the cell. Keeping the smart phone away from your boys as some data suggests phone radiation affects sperm motility. Use a shirt pocket or better yet, your backside belt (so 90s!).
- No weed, no fags, no nothing. Good evidence abounds that these are bad.
- Avoid opiates, calcium channel blockers, sulfa drugs and finasteride.
And while at work, pay attention to the following:
- Avoid sitting. Drivers, get out and stretch hourly. Stand at work, you might look more authoritative.
- Avoid heat. Cooks, welders and bakers get away from the flame and avoid hot, stuffy uniforms. Breathe baby, breathe!
- Farmers and gardeners: avoid estrogen-laden pesticides
- Don’t sweat the small stuff, and it’s all small stuff. Reduce your stress, and smile more. Try acupuncture or massage if this doesn’t work.